Saturday, May 4, 2013

White Boards and Crate Seats

I teach in a very old school. When I got there last year I still had chalkboards. I hadn't had chalkboards in years! I was spoiled with whiteboards and once you have them nothing else will do! So I had to make whiteboards! I went to Home Depot and bought whiteboard. It was about $12.00 a sheet. I measured my boards went to HD and told them what I needed it for what. They knew exactly what I was doing (apparently there are a lot of us doing this) and he was able to cut two for me perfectly.  I slide it over the chalkboard, drilled it in on all the corners and two in the middle top and bottom and presto chango I have white boards!!! I put colored duct tape around them to hide the screws plus it's just prettier. I use Mr. Clean to clean it with once a week and one of those cloth type hand puppet rags as an eraser.  LOVE IT! (I didn't really have any pictures of just the board so the picture included is me on PJ day so look past me at the whiteboard)

I also made those crates with the cloth tops.  I again went to HD (they will cut for teachers for free! At least mine does) and had them cut the wood tops. They found scrap wood for me and the whole project (six seats) cost less then 20.00. That included the crates I bought from Walmart on sale during the school sales.  The wood was only about $3.00 and the fabric came from Goodwill for $1.22. The kids love them and they are such great storage for my reading groups.  I like to keep them heavy because the kids are less likely to tip them over or to carry them around the room.  My hubby measured for the tops for me and he said that if I left a lip or overlap that they would be more sturdy rather them having the wood fit perfectly on the inside lip of the crate. So mine have inside strips of wood glued to the underside that settle down on the crate and keep the top seat in place rather than fitting inside the crate. They are very sturdy and show no signs of wear and tear. LOVE THEM! (The Picture is on Halloween but the "Indian" is sitting on one of the crate seats)

No comments:

Post a Comment