Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mother's Day Flowerpot!

Here it is! This is what I finally decided to have my students make for Mother's Day. It is a flowerpot from Michael's (Extremely cheap, actually mine came from under my house........long story but let's just say I have lots of these from the previous owners but that is another post) tissue paper from $ Tree and some glue and water!

I made a glue mixture of water and Elmers.........no measuring just made it runny and "painted" the pot in sections.  I then took the tissue paper (I actually used the paper that they use as packaging for the tissue paper that had lots of colors on it. My students however chose two colors that matched their mom's kitchens. Their homework for the weekend was to find out what color mom's kitchen was!) and cut it into little squares and other geometrical shapes which was a plus as we are on Geometry in Math. I glued the shapes on the pot smoothing them with my fingers so that there were no bubbles. I let it dry then sprayed it with a clear gloss coat that I bought at Lowes for roughly $4.00. I then used flower bulbs that I didn't use in my garden (so free bought them at Sams for $15.00 for 100 bulbs back in the fall) and bought dirt (about $5.00.)

They are so gorgeous! They look like works of art! I know the moms will love these! Very easy and inexpensive.  You can make it even more inexpensive if you don't have the supplies that I did, use packaged seeds. One pack would do your whole class! We also made cards and poems but the flowerpots were definitely the best part!!  I can't wait for the kids to take them home to mom this Friday! Many of them said they were going to hid them until Sunday morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment