Thursday, May 2, 2013

Compound Words

http://www.amazon.com/Once-there-bull-frog-Paperstar-Book/dp/0698116070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367546621&sr=8-1&keywords=compound+book+Rick+Walton



This is a great book by Rick Walton. Mr. Walton was a teacher and has several wonderful books that teaches concepts.  I use this book every year to teach compound words.  I read it twice. The second time the students supply the second half of the compound words.  I read it with long pauses so they can add in unison the compound word.  After I read the story I have my students create a compound animal. They draw and write the animal and it's characteristics.  EX: a horseturtle.  He eats horseflies and slowly gallops.  He has a horse head, legs and tale but has a shell as a body.

It's a great book to teach compound words! Be sure to check out all the other books Rick Walton has written!

No comments:

Post a Comment